Fresh summer okra, sliced and cooked with canned tomatoes (you could use fresh instead), bacon, onion, celery, and a few seasonings makes a delicious vegetable side dish for almost any meal.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water or chicken broth
- 4 cups sliced okra
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook bacon in a cast iron Dutch oven. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Add onion and celery to the bacon grease and cook until soft, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, water, okra, and seasonings. Cook 20-25 minutes, maintaining a simmer and stirring occasionally.
- Crumble bacon and stir in just before serving.
This slaw is refreshingly bright and crunchy. It’s the perfect accompaniment to burgers or Sloppy Joe’s. Make it at least an hour or up to a day ahead of time, as the flavor and texture improve as it sits. And feel free to buy the cabbage and carrots already shredded to make life easy — I do.
- 6 cups shredded red cabbage
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots, from 1 to 2 shallots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (parsley may be substituted)
- Zest and juice from 1 orange (about 1 teaspoon zest and 1/4 cup juice)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, from 2 limes
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Stir well, then taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary (I sometimes add a bit more sugar or honey).
Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken has the most amazing creamy garlic sauce with spinach and sun dried tomatoes. This meal is a restaurant quality meal ready in 30 minutes!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
- In a large skillet add olive oil and cook the chicken on medium high heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until brown on each side and cooked until no longer pink in center. Remove chicken and set aside on a plate.
- Add the heavy cream, chicken broth, garlic powder, italian seasoning, and parmesan cheese.
- Whisk over medium high heat until it starts to thicken.
- Add the spinach and sundried tomatoes and let it simmer until the spinach starts to wilt.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and serve over pasta if desired.
- If you are serving over pasta and like it saucy, definitely double the sauce.