Hoppin’ John is said to bring good luck all year when eaten on New Year’s Day.
- 2 16-ounce packages frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 1/4 cups sliced green onions, divided
- 2 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced seeded Jalapeño pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 vegetable-flavored or chicken-flavored bouillon cube
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with pepper, celery, and onion, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2/3 cup uncooked converted rice
- Place peas, 3/4 cup green onions, 2 cups hot water, and next 6 ingredients (through bouillon) in a 4-quart electric slow cooker; stir well. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, and rice; cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour or until peas and rice are tender and most of liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup green onions.