- 1 cup blackberry jam
- 1 12-ounce French bread loaf, cut into 1½-inch cubes
- 1 8-ounce package ⅓-less-fat cream cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- Toppings: maple syrup, whipped cream
- Cook jam in a small saucepan over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring once.
- Place half of bread cubes in bottom of a lightly greased 13-inch-by-9-inch baking dish. Top with cream cheese cubes, and drizzle with melted jam. Top with remaining bread cubes.
- Whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients. Pour over bread mixture. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Cover tightly, and chill 8 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until bread is golden brown and mixture is set. Serve with desired toppings.
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
Hearty side dishes don’t get much better than one starring hash brown potatoes, sour cream, and cheese. The buttery topping of cornflakes cereal guarantees its place at the breakfast table, but this is a casserole that can be served at any meal.
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 32-ounce package frozen Southern-style hash brown potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 1 10¾-ounce can condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup, undiluted (such as Campbell’s Healthy Request)
- 8 ounces light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light)
- 1 8-ounce carton light sour cream Cooking spray
- 2 cups cornflakes, coarsely crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 4 ingredients and 1 tablespoon butter in a large bowl; toss well.
- Combine soup and cheese in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 6 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring every 2 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Pour cheese mixture over potato mixture, and stir well. Spread mixture evenly in a 13-inch-by-9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine cornflakes and remaining 1 tablespoon butter; sprinkle evenly over top of potato mixture. Bake at 350° for 1 hour.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about ½ cup)
Transform the usual ham and egg breakfast with this 1-Dish recipe that requires just 30 minutes baking time.
Fleischmann’s 1-Dish Bake & Rise Batter
- Mazola Pure™ Cooking Spray
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 envelopes Fleischmann’s RapidRise Yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup very warm water (120º to 130ºF)
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon fine grind black pepper
- 4 slices (3/4 ounce each) American cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) diced ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Mix batter ingredients together in a pre-sprayed 8-inch-by-8-inch baking dish. Beat eggs, milk, garlic salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Top batter evenly with cheese slices, diced ham, egg mixture; sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake by placing in a COLD oven; set temperature to 350ºF. Bake for 30 minutes or until done.
- Serve with Jalapeño Cream Gravy