- 1 cup (170g) plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups (490g) buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Whisk together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk and eggs; stir into cornmeal mixture just until combined.
- Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until it just begins to smoke.
- Add butter, and stir until butter is melted.
- Stir melted butter into cornbread batter.
- Pour batter into hot skillet.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center.
- Remove muffins from pan immediately; place on a wire rack.
Experimemt with adding orqmge extract, vanilla extract, substituting brown sugar for granulated sugar, making adjustments to baking powder and baking soda and adding either an extra egg or an egg yolk.