Make peak-of-the-season preserves without even stirring. A slow cooker makes it possible. Another great use: Brush on grilled chicken or pork for a sweet finish.
- 2 pounds very ripe hulled strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup riesling wine
- 1 medium peeled Macintosh apple, grated
- 1 (1.75-ounce) box Sure-Jell fruit pectin for less- or no-sugar recipes*
- 1 rosemary sprig
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Mash the fruit to a chunky puree with a potato masher. Increase heat to HIGH; cook, uncovered, 4 hours.
- Turn off heat, and nestle rosemary sprig into fruit mixture; let stand 1 hour.
- Remove and discard rosemary sprig and any loose needles.
- Place jam in a bowl; cover and chill 8 hours.
- Store, refrigerated, for up to 3 weeks.
* A number of manufacturers make pectin for low-sugar recipes; depending on the brand, you may need to use more or less than we call for. Read the instructions on the package, and use the recommended amount for the quantity of fruit being used.
The perfect combination between spicy and sweet, this Jalapeño jam will definitely awaken your tastebuds. The jam contains Jalapeño peppers (some with seeds in tact) which gives off a mild to hot heat. The apricots help to sweeten the jam and add in a citrus flavor. It is perfect to spread on toast or bagels in the morning with a little bit of cream cheese. It can also be tossed with different meats and used as a marinade. Its spicy sweet flavoring makes this jam extremely versatile.
- 4 Jalapeño peppers, finely chopped (remove seeds from 1 of the peppers, leave seeds for remaining 3)
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dried apricots, chopped
- 1 orange or red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 package Knox unflavored gelatin
- In a medium sized saucepan, combine Jalapeño peppers, vinegar, sugar, apricots, and bell pepper.
- Heat over high heat until it comes to a boil. Allow to boil for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, quickly stir in gelatin and whisk until it is well incorporated.
- Return to heat and allow mixture to return to a boil.
- Boil for 1 additional minute. Remove from heat and pour into glass jar.
- Let cool to room temperature. Seal jars and place in refrigerator. It will take about 3-4 hours for gelatin to harden.