With only five ingredients, you can whip up these deliciously cheesy roasted red pepper straws as an appetizer for your next gathering.
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- ⅔ cup chopped marinated roasted red pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1⅓ cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Sauté shallot and roasted red pepper in olive oil, 4 to 5 minutes. Let cool. Stir in grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Roll 1 sheet puff pastry to 1/16-inch thickness. Trim to about a 16-inch-by 8-inch rectangle. Spread red-pepper mixture over dough. Roll out the other sheet to same dimensions and place over first sheet. Press slightly to seal. Lightly brush with water and sprinkle with more grated cheese.
- Cut dough into 24 eight-inch-long strips. Twist each strip and transfer to 2 parchment-lined baking pans. Chill for 20 minutes. Bake for 15 minutes.
Yields: 24 straws
In this lighter version, the carrot’s crisp-tender texture and full flavor move center stage.
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ pound carrots, peeled and sliced crosswise
- ½ cup sliced dried apricots
- 3 small scallions, sliced
- In a medium pan over low heat, cook lime juice, olive oil, honey, mustard, and red pepper until warm, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and cover.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook carrots until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and transfer carrots to a serving bowl.
- Add dried apricots and scallions, then toss salad with warm honey-lime dressing. Sprinkle with lime zest.