Pennies from Heaven are sweet, orange-infused, glazed carrots, studded with apricots and dusted with a pinch of cinnamon sugar. They get their name from their “divine” flavor; it’s a somewhat hokey descriptor common in Junior League and community cookbooks, but the carrots themselves are hard to beat. Prepared in the Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker, they make an easy side dish for just about any occasion.
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus more for serving, if desired
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Set the Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 183ºF (83ºC).
- Combine all ingredients in a large zipper lock bag. Seal the bag using the water immersion technique.
- Place the bag in the water bath and set the timer for 3 hours. You may need to weigh down the bag to keep it submerged.
- When the timer goes off, remove the bag from the water bath.
- Transfer the carrots and their cooking liquid to a bowl. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and additional lemon juice.