Anyone who’s had a chicken taco at a restaurant knows the meat can get a little dry. Many places use chicken breast for the protein, but our version uses chicken thighs for a moister, more flavorful filling. Cooking the meat couldn’t be any easier. Just could I the chicken Sous Vide. Tuck into tortillas and top with goodies like avocado and queso fresco. A chipotle sauce makes a cool, creamy, and spicy finish.
If you have difficulty finding Mexican cheeses at your grocery store, you can make an easy swap; farmer’s cheese is available at lots of regular markets, and it’s surprisingly similar to queso fresco. We guarantee it’ll be way better than any bagged, shredded mix.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium white onion
- 3 to 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Juice of 1 lime
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded cabbage
- Diced avocado
- Lime wedges
- Queso fresco
- Pickled jalapeños
- Set the Sous Vide Water bath to 160ºF (71ºC).
- Trim away any tough cartilage or bony pieces from the chicken thighs.
- Drizzle chicken thighs with a few tablespoons of olive oil.
- Combine paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then sprinkle evenly over chicken.place in a large zipper lock or vacuum seal bag.
- Peel and cut garlic cloves, then arrange on top of chicken. Roughly chop the onion, and arrange on top of chicken along with whole thyme sprigs.
- Season the thighs with salt and pepper and place in a large zipper lock or vacuum seal bag. Seal the bag using the water immersion technique or a vacuum sealer on the dry setting. Place in the water bath and set the timer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the water bath and transfer to a large bowl. Discard herbs, garlic, and onion. Once cooled, shred meat with two forks.
- Meanwhile, whisk sour cream half-and-half, chipotle sauce, lime juice, and honey in a small bowl to combine. Taste and season with salt, to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Warm tortillas in a dry skillet for a few seconds on each side, until pliable.
- Top each tortilla with chicken, cabbage, queso fresco, avocado, crema, pickled chiles, and a squeeze of lime.