- 1 16-ounce Package package of rigati pasta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cup milk
- 6 Slices white American cheese, sliced into thin strips
- 8 oz extra-sharp white Vermont cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- In large saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking until mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat.
- Add cheeses, mustard, salt, and hot sauce, stirring until cheese melts and sauce is smooth.
- Stir in pasta and cook over medium heat for 1 minute (or until thoroughly heated).
- Serve immediately.
- If you’re serving this as a main dish it serves 4-6. If you’re making this as a side dish it serves 8-10.
- Some people find the Dijon mustard in the recipe to be a bit overwhelming, so feel free to cut back on it or omit it all together.
- I find that in order to get optimal results you must use extra-sharp white Vermont cheddar and sliced white American cheese from the deli, not the fake stuff you find in the box.