This unconventional popovers recipe stars nutmeg and black pepper, making it the perfect savory dinner roll (or salty snack).
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely grated nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter, divided
- Whisk flour, parsley, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Whisk eggs and milk in a large bowl until well blended.
- Gently whisk in flour mixture, followed by 3 Tablespoons butter (do not overmix).
- Preheat oven to 425°. Grease 12 standard muffin cups with remaining 2 Tablespoons butter.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tins, filling cups three-quarters full and dividing equally.
- Bake popovers until puffed, golden brown, and crispy around edges, 30-35 minutes.
- Using a thin knife or an offset spatula, remove popovers from pan.
- Serve immediately.
- Batter can be made 1 day ahead.
- Cover and chill.