The most delicious and easy eggnog recipe, using the sous vide cooking technique. A holiday staple in my home.
- 4 Large egg yolks, fresh
- 8 Large eggs, fresh
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 6g Xanthan Gum
- pinch of salt
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus additional for garnish
- 2 cups bourbon whiskey
- 1/4 cup Amaretto
- Whipped Cream
- Preheat the Sous Vide bath to 140F/60C.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs for 2 to 3 minutes, until they are thick and pale yellow.
- Mix powdered sugar and xanthan gum together.
- Add the milk, cream, vanilla, powdered sugar, salt and 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg and beat well to make the eggnog base.
- Pour the base into a gallon (large) food-grade pouch.
- Add the Cinnamon Sticks and cloves to the bag of eggnog base. Press out as much air as possible from the pouch, and seal well.
- Drop the sealed food pouch into the water bath and cook for 1 hour, agitating the contents in the pouch several times throughout it’s cooking time.
- Remove the pouch from the water bath and immediately quick chill the base by submerging the sealed pouch in ice water bath for at least 20 minutes.
- After quick chilling, strain out the cloves and cinnamon into a sealable pitcher or plastic container.
- Refrigerate for several hours to overnight to thoroughly chill.
- Remove the eggnog base from the refrigerator and pour it into a large pitcher or serving bowl.
- If making the alcoholic variation — add the bourbon and amaretto, mix well.
- Pour into serving glasses.
- Top with Whipped Cream and Grate additional fresh nutmeg on top for garnish and serve immediately. ( Always serve well chilled.)