If I had to choose between crunchy cheese and eggs I wouldn’t be very happy. Thankfully, I don’t ever have to choose because now, frico cheese and eggs have come together forever in delicious, delicious harmony. What’s even more beautiful is that making cheesy, crispy eggs is incredibly easy. I know I’m being a touch effusive, but I’m really excited about these guys. Frico eggs are essentially a grilled cheese and egg sandwich, hold the bread. So crispy, so cheesy, so good!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheese, either cheddar, parmesan, or Manchego
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper
On the side
- Sliced avocado, greens, ham, bacon etc.
- Heat up a heavy-bottomed, non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese in the centre of the pan, in circular shape. You want a thin, even layer.
- Once the cheese melts a bit, crack an egg on top, cover with a lid and cook to your desired doneness. I find it helpful to use a glass lid.
- Remove from the heat, let sit for a minute for the cheese to crisp up and then loosen by sliding a silicone spatula underneath.
- Plate, season with salt and pepper and enjoy hot!
- Feel free to toast up some soldiers to dip into your runny yolk. I kept it carb-free and had mine with some avocado.