- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- Pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons very cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2-1/2 pounds tart baking apples (about 5 large), peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor, pulse the flour with the brown sugar, ¼ cup of the granulated sugar and salt until combined. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer the crumbs to a bowl and stir in the pecans and oats. Set aside.
- Generously butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish. In a medium bowl, toss the apples with the remaining 6 tablespoons granulated sugar. Transfer the apple mixture to the prepared baking dish and cover with the oat topping. Bake in the middle of the oven for 40-50 minutes, or until the apples are tender when pierced and the topping is toasted. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream if desired.