- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 1 to 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Danish Blue Cheese, for topping
- Toasted Walnuts, for topping
- Preheat oven to 425˚.
- Cut butternut squash in half length-wise and place cut side down in a roasting dish. Fill the dish with roughly 1/4″ of water and roast squash until tender, 40-60 minutes depending on the side of squash.
- Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle.
- In a pot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and cook until translucent and fragrant, 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup vegetable broth, thyme, black pepper, and 2 cups of the roasted butternut squash. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the heavy cream then puree soup using an immersion blender or traditional blender, adding extra broth as needed to reach a good consistency.
- Taste and adjust salt as needed.
- Divide soup into small bowls or glasses and top with a sprinkle of blue cheese and walnuts