- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg
- Maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in.-square baking dish.
- Top with apples.
- In a small bowl, combine muffin mix, milk and egg just until moistened. Pour over apples.
- Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with maple syrup.
- Refrigerate unbaked casserole, covered, several hours or overnight.
- To use, preheat oven to 400°.
- Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats.
- Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary until edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with syrup.
Yield: 4 servings.