- 4 pounds apples (about 10), peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks (I like a combination of McIntosh and Golden Delicious)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- Dash cinnamon, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Place the apples in a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Scatter the the brown sugar and chunks of butter evenly over top.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45-50 minutes, tossing once halfway through, until the apples are very tender.
- Mash the apples with a potato masher or fork.
- Taste; if the applesauce is too tart, add more brown sugar little by little until the flavors are balanced.
- No two batches will ever be the same; the flavor will depend on the tartness of the apples you use.