- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1-2 Jalapeños thinly sliced (depending how spicy you like it!)
- 1 whole raw chicken
- 2 cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 lime
- kosher salt
- 1 fresh Jalapeño, thinly sliced
- freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat and then add the onions, garlic and jalapeño.
- Sprinkle with salt and saute 5 to 7 minutes until soft and tender and only lightly browned.
- Add the whole chicken to the pot.
- Add the chicken broth to the pot and put a lid in the pot. Turn the heat to low and let simmer for 60 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and transfer it to a large bowl or pan.
- Transfer the broth with the onions, garlic and jalapeno to the jar of a blender (you may have to do this in batches) and puree on high until smooth.
- Pour the broth back into the pot and add the fresh lime juice and the beans.
- Remove all of the chicken meat from the bones and skin of the chicken. Shred the meat and add it to the soup.
- Stir everything together and season to taste with kosher salt.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and serve hot with some fresh jalapeño slices, a sprinkle of fresh cilantro and a lime wedge.