- 8 ounces flat rice noodles (linguini or fettuccini width)
- 2 large eggs
- Vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and devein
- 2/3 pound (10 oz.) 1-inch broccoli florets
- 4 green onions, light and dark green parts, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts, plus more for garnish if desired
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped dry roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- Bring 6 cups water to a boil in a large pot. Off the heat, add the noodles. Let sit, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until softened but still al dente, 5-20 minutes. (Note that the time varies greatly depending on the type of noodle and brand. The noodles I use — Thai Kitchen Stir Fry Noodles — take 20 minutes, even though it says 8-10 minutes on the package). Drain and rinse well with cold water. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs with a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, peanut butter, sugar and dried chili flakes. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large nonstick pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, ginger and shrimp; season with ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring constantly, until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, a few minutes. Transfer the shrimp, garlic and ginger to a large bowl, using a rubber spatula to scrape the pan clean.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the hot pan. Add the broccoli, ¼ cup of water and ¼ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring constantly, until the broccoli is cooked through, 3-4 minutes. Transfer the cooked broccoli to the bowl with the shrimp.
- Add 1 teaspoon of oil to the hot pan. Add the beaten eggs and scramble until cooked through, 1-2 minutes. Add to the bowl with the shrimp and broccoli.
- Add 4 tablespoons oil to the hot pan. Add the drained noodles to the pan, along with the fish sauce mixture. Cook, tossing the noodles gently so as not to break them, until perfectly cooked, a few minutes. Add the shrimp, broccoli and eggs to the pan, along with the green onions; toss gently to combine, cooking until everything is warmed through. Right before serving, sprinkle the bean sprouts, peanuts and cilantro over top and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with lime wedges and bean sprouts, if desired.