- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 pounds extra large or jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- Mix the paprika, ancho chili powder, cumin, sugar, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl. Add the shrimp to the spices and toss to coat evenly. Set aside.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a 12-inch skillet.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for one minute. Do not brown.
- Add the shrimp and continue cooking over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the shrimp are almost cooked but still opaque in spots, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and water and cook until shrimp are done, 1-2 minutes more.
- Scatter scallions over top and serve.