For the Brine
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 cups water
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined (defrosted)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- One 4-inch x 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine the salt, sugar, chili powder and water. Whisk until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Drop in the shrimp and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch sauté pan (preferably nonstick) over medium heat.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 1 minute.
- Add the sugar and continue stirring until the garlic is pale gold, 1-2 minutes more. Do not let the garlic turn dark brown.
- Drain the shrimp in a colander, and immediately add to the pan. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring constantly, until the shrimp are pink and barely firm, another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve immediately with rice.