You have just found your new favorite bread. Apple pie and bread together…how can it get any better?
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice (substitution: 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon + 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg)
- 4 large (or 6 medium) apples, peeled, sliced and cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine the butter, brown sugar, milk, eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is creamy.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and apple pie spice (or cinnamon and nutmeg).
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the large bowl and mix until fully incorporated.
- Fold in the apples and pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- To make the topping, combine 2 tablespoons of melted butter with 1/2 cup each of flour and brown sugar. Mix with a fork until crumbly and pour evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 55 minutes, checking for doneness starting at 45 minutes by inserting a toothpick into the center of the bread.
- Cut into slices and serve warm.