- 1 Basic Pie Crust
- 6 cups blackberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Sanding sugar for garnish
- Begin by preheating your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Also line a baking sheet with parchment paper so it will be ready after you’ve rolled out the crust.
- In a large bowl combine blackberries, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, almond extract, and cornstarch. Stir until combined; then set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out your pie dough into a large circle about 1/4″ thick. Transfer the pie dough to your baking sheet.
- Pour the blackberry mixture onto the center of the dough. Gently pull the side of the dough up and around the blackberries, leaving some of the fruit in the center still exposed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Brush on the pie crust; then sprinkle generously with the sanding sugar.
- Bake the crostata at 400 degrees F for about 40 – 50 minutes or until the fruit is bubbly and the crust is golden.
- For a firm filling, allow the crostata to cool completely before cutting and serving. Or serve warm if you prefer a slightly runnier filling.