- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 15-oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz. can kidney beans
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 oz. pasta, such as orecchiette or shells
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil.
- Add onion and cook until tender, then add garlic and stir until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Drain fat.
- Add diced tomatoes, kidney beans, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, chicken broth, and pasta and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until pasta is al dente, 14 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheddar until just melted.
- Garnish with chives and serve.