You’ll want to make this Southern Bacon-Fried Cabbage again and again! It’s hard to believe that such simple ingredients could result in such a flavorful and delicious side dish!
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large head cabbage, cored and chopped
- 2 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook the bacon in a jumbo cooker over medium-high heat until crisp.
- Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease and discard the rest.
- In the same jumbo cooker, return the 2 tablespoons bacon grease.
- Over medium-high heat, cook the onion until it is soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Stir in the cabbage and continue to cook and stir for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the seasoned salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, mix the bacon into the cooked cabbage.
- Serve immediately.