- 1 lb. cavatappi pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 6 cups freshly shredded sharp or white Cheddar
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- up to 1 Tablespoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Boil pasta in salted water according to package directions.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add in salt and pepper.
- Slowly pour in 4 cups milk whisking until smooth and heating to a low boil until thickened.
- Do not stop until thick.
- Remove from heat.
- Grease a 9×13″ baking dish and add the hot pasta to the dish.
- Over the top sprinkle 6 cups of freshly shredded cheese.
- Pour the thickened cream sauce over the hot pasta and cheese and let it sit until the cheese melts.
- Stir everything together.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Add in panko bread crumbs, stirring constantly 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pour over the mac and cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven 12-15 minutes.