- 2 large white onions
- 3–4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups flour
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- Oil, for frying
- Marinara sauce
- Peel and cut onions into 1-centimeter rings, then separate the rings.
- Slice the mozzarella into 4 even strips, and place a smaller onion ring in the center of a larger one.
- Fill the gap between the rings with strips of mozzarella. Repeat with remaining onion rings and freeze them for 1 hour.
- Place the flour, eggs, and bread crumbs into three separate bowls.
- Dip each prepared ring into the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs, then back into the egg, and one last time into the bread crumbs.
- Repeat with the remaining onion rings.
- Heat the oil in a pot over high heat.
- Fry the rings until golden brown, being careful not to fry them for too long as the cheese may ooze out completely.
- Drain on a paper towel, then serve with marinara!