- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 pounds sliced zucchini ( about 3 med-large zucchini)
- 2 cups water or veggie stock
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- cracked pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed, plus more for garnish ( or sub fresh mint, or cilantro)
- Plain yogurt or sour cream
- In a medium pot, heat oil over med-high heat. Add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes until just tender.
- Add chopped garlic, turn heat to medium low, and continue sauteeing for 3-4 minutes, until garlic is fragrant and golden.
- Add sliced zucchini and water ( or stock), salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer over high heat, cover, turn heat down to med-low, and simmer 15 minutes, giving a stir halfway through.
- After 15 minutes check to see that zucchini is translucent and fork tender.
- Blend in batches until very smooth,adding the fresh basil directly into the blender with the soup–being careful to cover blender lid with a kitchen towel, holding down firmly, to prevent a blender explosion. See note.
- Return to the pot. Stir in vinegar, adjust salt if necessary.
Serve in bowls, garnish with basil ribbons. For extra richness add a swirl of plain yogurt, or sour cream,
Always be careful blending hot soup in a blender, fill only halfway full and start on lowest speed, increasing gradually. Hold lid down as hard as you can with a kitchen towel.