These queso fresco cheese sticks are scrumptious enough to be eaten on their own, or can be perfectly paired with your favorite hot sauce. The only problem with this recipe is being able to stop from overeating!
Mozzarella sticks get a run for their money from these queso fresco cheese sticks. Staying true to the traditional recipe but modifying it by replacing mozzarella with queso fresco, these cheese sticks are sturdier than the traditional ones.
- 12 ounces queso fresco sliced into 6 large or 12 small sticks
- 1 cup flour
- 2 egg slightly beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs seasoned
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- In the first bowl, add the flour; in the second bowl add the eggs; in the third bowl, combine the bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Slice the cheese, dredge through flour, dip into egg and coat in bread crumbs.
- Transfer to plate, cover with plastic and freeze for 2 hours. Remove 15 minutes before cooking.
- In a medium skillet, preheat olive oil to medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Fry two to three cheese sticks at a time so you don’t overcrowd the pan. Cook until nicely browned, turning as needed.
- Transfer onto a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve right away with 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa.
- Garnish with cilantro.