- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 ounce bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 7 ounces chocolate wafer cookies (about 30 cookies)
- 1 pint strawberries, trimmed and halved
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 6 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lightly spray a 9-inch pie dish with nonstick spray.
- Place the butter and chopped chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, heat on high for 30 seconds or until just melted. Stir until smooth.
- Finely grind cookies in processor.
- Add chocolate mixture and process until crumbs are evenly moistened.
- Press crumb mixture into prepared pie dish.
- Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Arrange strawberry halves in a single layer in the bottom of the crust.
- For filling, whisk sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, spices, and salt in heavy medium saucepan to combine.
- Whisk in egg yolks to form thick paste.
- Gradually whisk in milk, then whisk over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and boils 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in bourbon and vanilla.
- Cool 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Pour filling over strawberries until level with the top edge of the crust (you may not use all the filling).
- Chill until set, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Top with fresh whipped cream and more strawberries, if desired.