The topping for this simple Fresh Tomato Bruschetta appetizer can be put together ahead of time and refrigerated. We also love it on top of grilled chicken sandwiches, hamburgers and homemade pizza.
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 French bread baguette (10-1/2 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients.
- Spread baguette slices with butter; top each with a cheese slice.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- With a slotted spoon, top each slice with about 1 tablespoon tomato mixture.
Yield: 3 dozen.