- 6 cups cubed (1/2-inch cubes) watermelon
- 2 heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced mint
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chile powder
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Puree 2 cups of the watermelon in a blender and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining watermelon and tomato and toss with the sugar, a large pinch of salt, the mint, and lime juice.
- Set a large saute pan over medium heat and add enough oil to thinly coat the base of the pan. When the oil is hot, sprinkle in the cumin, fennel, and ginger, and toast for 30 seconds.
- Add the turmeric and chile powder, then 1/2 cup watermelon juice, and the lemon juice.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add salt or sugar as desired, and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour the sauce over the watermelon and tomatoes and gently fold together.
- Divide among 6 shallow bowls, and serve.