- 1 large tomato – sliced into 3 – 1/2″ rounds
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg – beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 Fresh Mozzarella – sliced into 3 – 1/2″ rounds
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- balsamic cream
- Season tomato slices with salt and pepper and place onto a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside.
- Place flour, egg, and panko into 3 separate shallow bowls for dredging.
- Dip tomato slice into flour. Lightly tap to remove excess.
- Dip into egg and then into panko. Transfer to plate and continue with remaining tomatoes.
- Into a medium sized skillet add oil and heat over medium heat.
- When hot, add tomato slices and cook for approximately 30 seconds on each side OR until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Season with salt.
- To assemble: tomato, mozzarella, 3 basil leaves. Continue with two additional layers. Garnish with a drizzle of balsamic cream.