Calling all peanut butter lovers! Here’s a light, yet indulgent, double hit of creamy peanut butter goodness.
- 11.25 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 5/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup natural creamy peanut butter, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Beat brown sugar, 1/2 cup peanut butter, granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup softened butter with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture; beat at low speed until well blended. Divide dough in half. Press half of dough into a (6 x 4–inch) rectangle; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Roll remaining half of dough into a 15 x 9–inch rectangle (1/8 inch thick) on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 36 (2 1/2 x 1 1/2–inch) rectangles. Place rectangles on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; cool completely. Repeat procedure with chilled half of dough.
- Place 1/2 cup Peanut Butter, 1/3 cup softened butter, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl; beat at medium speed with a mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Spread about 2 teaspoons filling onto flat side of each of 36 cookies; top with remaining 36 cookies, flat side down.
You can freeze wrapped rectangles of dough for up to 1 month. The prepared sandwich cookies will keep in the freezer in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag for up to 3 months. The cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.