For the Fried Pickle Poppers
- 6 kosher dill pickles
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (pimento cheese or even softened cream cheese would also work well here)
- 6 egg roll wrappers
- Oil, for pan-frying
For the Chipotle Mayo Dip
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (about 1 lime
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Using an apple corer, remove the centers of the pickles. To do this, stand the pickle straight up, twist the corer to break the pickle skin, and then push it down until you reach the opposite end of the pickle. Twist and pull towards you to remove the inside of the pickle. You can discard these centers or save them to use in relish, macaroni salad, potato salad, or tartar sauce.
- Spoon the cheese into the cored pickle, pressing it in until the pickle is full. You will want to hold your thumb against the opposite end of the pickle to make sure that the filling doesn’t squeeze out as you’re pushing more in.
- Once the pickles are filled with cheese, get out your egg roll wrappers. Take one pickle and lay it in the center of an egg roll wrapper. You want the egg roll wrapper to be angled so that it looks like a diamond, with the pickle going down the center.
Fold over one side of the egg roll wrapper to cover the pickle. Then, fold up the bottom end and fold down the top end. Dip a finger in water and run it over the unfolded side of the wrapper. Then, roll it up tightly. You should have a traditional egg roll shape now!
- Repeat with the remaining pickles.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, fill about ½” high with oil and heat over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add in the pickles.
- Pan fry until golden brown all around, turning to cook evenly.
Remove the pickles from heat and place on a rack or track to cool.
- As the pickles cool, add the Chipotle Mayo Dip ingredients in a food processor or blender and mix until well-combined.
- Serve the Fried Pickle Poppers warm with the Chipotle Mayo Dip