Chicken noodle soup brings back memories of childhood. This revamped version takes the chill off with a healthy twist. It’s a favorite at my house, especially after working outside on a cool day.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen home-style egg noodles
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour, basil and salt until blended; gradually stir in broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Return to a boil; add noodles.
- Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Stir in kale and chicken; cook, covered, 6-8 minutes longer or until kale and noodles are tender.