A sprinkling of sugar in the cornmeal coating caramelizes as the okra cooks, creating a crisp, golden crust.
- 1 pound fresh okra, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Stir together okra and buttermilk in a large bowl.
- Stir together cornmeal mix and next 3 ingredients in a separate large bowl.
- Remove okra from buttermilk, in batches, using a slotted spoon.
- Dredge in cornmeal mixture, and place in a wire-mesh strainer. Shake off excess.
- Pour oil to depth of 1 inch into a large, deep cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven; heat to 375°.
- Fry okra, in batches, 4 minutes or until golden, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels.