- 1 lemon, peeled and quartered
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
- 2 cups unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- Bring first 5 ingredients to a simmer in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until liquid almost completely evaporates.
- Reduce heat to low, and whisk in butter, 1 piece at a time, whisking constantly and allowing butter to melt between each addition.
- Pour mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding solids.
- Stir in salt and white pepper.
- Cover with foil to keep warm.