You can assemble this up to four days ahead, and keep in the fridge; then let it stand at room temp for 30 minutes before baking.
- 1 1/2 pounds smoked sausage, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 2 (8-oz.) blocks sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350F°.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 7 to 9 minutes or until cooked; drain on paper towels.
- Bring salt and 4 1/2 cups water to a boil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Whisk in grits, and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 5 minutes or until thickened, whisking occasionally.
- Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until completely melted.
- Stir in milk and next 4 ingredients.
- Stir in sausage.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased (with cooking spray) 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until golden and cooked through.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.