Make the filling ahead of time to meet your party preparation timeline. Serve with homemade chili sauce over a bed of fresh lettuce.
- 1/2 pound unpeeled fresh shrimp
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and minced
- 1 (8-ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) package spring roll wrappers
- Vegetable oil
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Lettuce leaves (optional)
- Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired; finely chop.
- Stir together shrimp, 1 egg, pork, and next 8 ingredients.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon mixture in center of each spring roll wrapper.
- Fold top corner of each wrapper over filling, tucking tip of corner under filling, and fold left and right corners over filling.
- Lightly brush remaining corner with remaining egg; tightly roll filled end toward remaining corner, and gently press to seal.
- Pour vegetable oil to a depth of 2 inches into a medium saucepan, and heat to 350°F.
- Fry spring rolls, a few at a time, 6 minutes or until golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve spring rolls with Sweet Chili Sauce and over lettuce leaves, if desired.
Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 (7-ounce) bottle hot chili sauce with garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chili paste
- Stir together all ingredients until blended.
- Chill until ready to serve.