This buttery, two-cheese casserole featuring one of the South’s favorite foods is a must for holiday brunches or to serve at dinner with shrimp or ham.
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked regular grits
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into cubes
- 1 (10-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (4-oz.) smoked Gouda cheese round, shredded
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Bring grits, chicken broth, and next 3 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in butter and cheeses until melted.
- Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot grits mixture into eggs; add egg mixture to remaining hot grits mixture, stirring constantly.
- Pour grits mixture into a lightly greased 2 1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly around edges.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.