Enjoy the make-ahead ease of this casserole. Prepare the recipe, without baking, and refrigerate overnight. Make the Cheese Sauce before scrambling the eggs so the sauce will be ready to add at the proper time.
- 1 (1-pound) package hot ground pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 14 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cheese Sauce
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeños
- Halved grape tomatoes
- Sliced green onions
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Remove from pan; drain well, pressing between paper towels.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add green onions and cilantro, and sauté 1 minute.
- Add eggs, salt, and pepper, and cook, without stirring, until eggs begin to set on bottom.
- Draw a spatula across bottom of pan to form large curds. Continue to cook until eggs are thickened but still moist; do not stir constantly.
- Remove from heat, and gently fold in 1 1/2 cups Cheese Sauce and sausage.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup egg mixture down the center of each flour tortilla; roll up. Place, seam side down, in a lightly greased 13- x- 9-inch baking dish.
- Pour remaining Cheese Sauce evenly over tortillas; sprinkle evenly with Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly.
- Serve with desired toppings.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth.
- Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in remaining ingredients.