Festive and oh-so-good, this cheesecake will become a fixture on your Christmas dessert menu. The red velvet filling is spiked with cocoa, topped with cream cheese frosting, and baked in a chocolate cookie crumb crust.
- 17 chocolate cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, butter and sugar. Press onto the bottom of prepared pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the sour cream, buttermilk, cocoa and vanilla.
- Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined.
- Stir in food coloring.
- Pour over crust.
- Place springform pan in a large baking pan; add 1 inch of hot water to larger pan.
- Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until center is just set and top appears dull.
- Remove springform pan from water bath.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove sides of pan.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
- Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost top of cheesecake.
- Refrigerate until serving.
Yield: 16 servings.