- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 large challah
- 5 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over medium heat, stirring until smooth. Pour into a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Cut bread into 1½” slices and remove crusts.
- Arrange bread slices on top of caramel, making sure entire base is well covered (you will use entire loaf).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, Grand Marnier, orange zest and salt until well combined. Pour evenly over bread. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake, uncovered, in the middle of the oven until puffed and golden, about 45 minutes. Let cool a few minutes (it will deflate), then serve.
I use plain ol’ supermarket challah (no need to buy anything fancy). If you want to play with the recipe, you could use a raisin challah or any other bread that you like.