There’s no need to use a pastry bag to fill cookies. Just transfer the frosting to a zip-top plastic freezer bag, and snip the corner.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red liquid food coloring
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Parchment paper
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup white chocolate morsels, melted according to package directions and cooled
- Garnish: white chocolate morsels
- Preheat oven to 325°. Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add egg and food coloring; beat 30 seconds.
- Sift flour with next 2 ingredients in a small bowl. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed until combined. Stir in vanilla.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls, and place 1/2 inch apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Press thumb or end of a wooden spoon into each ball, forming an indentation.
- Bake at 325° for 10 to 15 minutes or until cookies are fragrant and dry. While cookies are still warm, press indentations again. Cool cookies completely on a wire rack (about 30 minutes).
- Stir together cream cheese and melted white chocolate in a small bowl. Fill centers of cookies with cream cheese mixture.