This casserole is rich, delicious, and worthy of Christmas breakfast. Gruyère cheese browns beautifully and adds a nutty flavor to the dish. You can sub Swiss cheese if you prefer.
- 1 pound hot ground pork sausage (such as Jimmy Dean)
- 1 1/4 cups (5 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 (13.22-oz.) package mini croissants (about 24), torn
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Gruyère cheese
- Cook sausage 8 minutes in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring to crumble.
- Toss together sausage, Parmesan, and next 3 ingredients; arrange in a 13- x 9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Whisk together milk and next 2 ingredients; pour over sausage mixture.
- Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover casserole, and sprinkle with Gruyère.
- Bake 45 minutes or until golden.
- Let stand 10 minutes.