This apple-and-berry-packed pie is extra-tasty because of the white-Cheddar cheese crust that provides a sigh-worthy companion for the sweet fruit filling.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup ice water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Blackberry-Apple Pie Filling
- 1 tablespoon sparkling sugar
- Stir together flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas. Stir in cheese. Drizzle 1/2 cup ice water over flour mixture, stirring with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened and dough is crumbly but forms a ball when pressed together, adding more ice water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, if necessary (up to 1/4 cup). Divide dough in half. Place each half on a large piece of plastic wrap. Shape each dough half into a flat disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap, and chill 2 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place 1 dough disk on a lightly floured surface; sprinkle dough lightly with flour. Roll dough to about 1/4-inch thickness. Starting at 1 edge of dough, wrap dough around rolling pin. Place rolling pin over a 9-inch pie plate, and unroll dough over pie plate. Press dough into pie plate; trim off excess crust along edges. Brush edges of crust lightly with egg; reserve remaining egg. Spoon Blackberry-Apple Pie Filling into crust, mounding filling slightly in center.
- Roll remaining dough disk to about 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut dough into 9 (1-inch-wide) strips. Arrange strips in a lattice design over filling; gently press ends of strips into bottom crust; crimp edge of crust. Brush lattice with reserved egg; sprinkle with sparkling sugar. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° on lower oven rack 45 to 50 minutes. Cover loosely with foil to prevent excessive browning, and bake 25 more minutes or until juices are thick and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack 2 hours.
Try This Twist! Cranberry-Apple Pie: Substitute Cranberry-Apple Pie Filling for Blackberry-Apple Pie Filling. Prepare as directed.
Blackberry-Apple Pie Filling
Make ahead: Prepare through Step 2. Chill up to 1 week. Stir in berries before spooning into crust.
- 3 pounds Granny Smith apples
- 3 pounds Braeburn apples
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 (12-oz.) package frozen blackberries (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Peel apples, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges; toss with sugar and 1/2 cup flour.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add apple mixture, and saute 15 to 20 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from heat. Cool completely (about 1 hour).
- Toss frozen blackberries with 1 Tbsp. flour, and stir into apple mixture. Use immediately.
Cranberry-Apple Pie Filling
- Omit blackberries and 1 Tablespoon flour.
- Reduce remaining flour from 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup.
- Stir in 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries just before removing apples from heat in Step 2.