- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, 1/2 (17.3-ounce) package
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Thaw the pastry sheet at room temperature covered by a clean kitchen cloth, about 30 minutes.
- While the pastry is thawing, combine cheese, olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt and cayenne in a small mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
- In a clean small mixing bowl, beat the egg with a fork.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently unfold the pastry.
- Sprinkle the pastry lightly with flour and using a rolling pin, roll into a 14 by 10-inch rectangle.
- Brush the top of the pastry with a beaten egg.
- Cut in 1/2 lengthwise to form 2 (7 by 10-inch) rectangles.
- Spread the herb-cheese mixture with the back of a spoon evenly across 1 rectangle.
- Lay the second rectangle across the coated piece, egg side-down. With the rolling pin lightly roll the 2 sheets together to seal.
- With a large knife cut crosswise into strips, about 1/3-inch wide each. (Alternately, you can use a pizza wheel to cut the strips.)
- One at a time, grab the ends of each strip and twist in opposite directions to form a spiral.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheets until cool enough to handle.
- Serve either warm or at room temperature.