- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
- Lightly coat a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray; line bottom and sides with parchment paper. In a large bowl stir together the next five ingredients (through salt).
- In a medium bowl combine the next four ingredients (through oil); stir in half of the bacon.
- Add egg mixture all at once to cornmeal mixture; stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy).
- Spoon into prepared cooker (cooker will only be about one-fourth full).
- Sprinkle with the remaining bacon.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean, giving crockery liner a half-turn halfway through, if possible. (When removing lid, carefully lift so condensation from lid does not drip onto bread.)
- Turn off cooker. If possible, remove crockery liner from cooker. Remove lid.
- Cover opening of liner or cooker completely with paper towels; re-place lid. Cool 10 minutes.
- Remove bread from liner or cooker; peel off paper. Cool completely on a wire rack.