- 60g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1.8kg potatoes, such as nicola or dutch cream, skins left on and finely sliced
- 120g grated tasty cheese
- 1 bunch sage, leaves picked
- green salad to serve
- Heat butter in a frypan over a medium heat and fry onion until it becomes soft and translucent.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Lightly grease an 18cm x 7cm springform tin and press an overlapping layer of potato slices around sides.
- Next, create a layer of concentric rings of overlapping discs to cover base.
- Spread a little onion and cheese across base, season with sea salt and ground black pepper, then dot with 4 sage leaves.
- Cover this layer with potato, and continue alternating potato and cheese, onion and sage layers until you reach top of the springform tin.
- Brush pie with butter, place on a baking tray, and loosely cover with foil.
- Bake for 1½ hours, then remove foil and bake for 30 minutes or until potato is crisp.
- Remove and allow to cool a little.
- Cut into generous slices and serve with a green salad.