Pistachio and Pine Nut Brittle is a sweet spin on the traditional peanut brittle. This nut candy also includes dried cranberries, giving the brittle a festive color of red and green (from the pistachios) for the holidays.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light-colored corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsalted dry-roasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring just until combined; bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 335° or until syrup is dark golden brown.
- Remove from heat; stir in pistachios and remaining ingredients (mixture will bubble).
- Quickly pour mixture onto prepared pan; spread to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cool completely (about 2 hours).
- Break brittle into bite-sized pieces.